Friday, August 14, 2009

Ten Wheel Drive: The Best Band Not At Woodstock

August 2009 marks the 40th anniversary of the ground-breaking festival of peace and music known as Woodstock. I was 19 years old and desperately wanted to attend, but couldn't afford it. I had recently completed my freshman year at the University of Illinois at Chicago Circle, and worked part time as a stock boy at a Montgomery Ward store at 95th and Western. It paid for my books, clothes, dating expenses, and auto insurance. Thank God I had a scholarship that covered tuition.

During the summer of 1969, I had a couple of summer classes, and worked full time stocking shelves; assembling everything from tricycles to above ground swimming pools to storage sheds to riding mowers; and moving 50 pound bags of fertilizer, all for $1.40 per hour. But I digress...

Since you've probably seen and heard numerous clips from varied Woodstock performances this month, I want to introduce you to the Best Band Not At Woodstock. But first, additional background to this story.

Two years after Woodstock, in the record department at Wards, I found, in the remaindered (marked down) section, some albums by a band called Ten Wheel Drive with Genya Ravan (TWD). What caught my eye was the jazz-rock notations on the albums' covers. I was already a huge fan of jazz-rock. Blood, Sweat, and Tears had whetted my appetite with "Spinning Wheel". (NOTE: When clicking on the songs, you will be taken to "last.fm". To listen to the original versions of the songs, click on their titles in the upper right hand portion of the web page.)

Then I played the TWD albums. Nothing prepared me for the force of this band's music. As a Chicagoan, and fan of the great jazz-rock group Chicago Transit Authority, known as simply Chicago after their first album, it pains me to say that they were bypassed in that genre by this east coast jazz-rock band.

A TWD sampler: How Long Before I'm Gone; I Am A Want Ad; House In Central Park; Eye of the Needle; Tightrope; Pulse; Stay With Me; Last of the Line; Ain't Gonna Happen.

TWD leads the jazz-rock pack thanks to remaining true to a strong jazz sound carrying the melodies; Genya Raven's powerful vocals; the brilliant arrangement of the songs; the tight horn section that won't be denied; and last, but certainly not least, the creative genius of Aram Schefrin.

I guarantee that you will either love or loathe Genya's vocal stylings (needless to say, I love her voice), but TWD is the real deal. Look for their songs on last.fm, youtube, or on ITunes. Their creative heart and soul, Aram Schefrin, recorded a series of revealing podcasts about TWD, that are still accessable on Itunes for free. The podcasts include a wide selection by Aram of TWD's songs.

In the aforementioned TWD podcasts, Aram mentions Woodstock, and how TWD was not invited. Such an omission on the part of Woodstock's organizers was a musical loss. Their appearance at Woodstock would have garnered them the publicity necessary to propel them to much greater commercial success, as well as perhaps keeping the band together for much more artistic success as well. At least we have three TWD albums with Genya (not including a so-called "Greatest Hits").

I close my eyes and imagine a duet at Woodstock with Janis Joplin and Genya Ravan, backed by Big Brother and the Holding Company and Ten Wheel Drive. Could the stage have supported such talent? It would have been electric.

3 comments:

Wayne in Pa said...

I took the time to listen to the TWD track "How Long Before I'm Gone".

OK, multiple finger snapping from me!

I am sorry that I did not know this group existed, so many years ago.

It's a shame that this group did not make it the "national stage."

Thanks for the musical lesson. I also liked Chicago (aka CTA). And I do like good jazz fusion.

Wayne in Pa said...

Also B.S.T. good stuff.

On a recent I think History Channel or it could have been the Discovery Channel they had on a retrospective of Woodstock (which actually was not held in the town of Woodstock, but close by) and broadcast a segment of Janis Joplin's set.

WOW!

thinker said...

Thank you for listening!

Glad you liked TWD. You realize that your "multiple finger snapping" comment will be understood only by the tragically hip! I guess I'm surprised both you and I 'grok' it.

The early CTA a/k/a Chicago was soooo good for the first half dozen or so albums. Then they seemed to go mainstream. Oh well.

Janis was fantastic at Woodstock. Sites like youtube also have some of her performances at Monterey Pop festival (1967 I think).