Friday, September 5, 2008

Three Problems With Republican VP Candidate Palin

When Sarah Palin, Governor of Alaska, was first introduced, I liked her. I was intrigued by her background, and thought that she was the first 'normal, everyday citizen' that had been thrust into the national political spotlight since Harry Truman. But Truman had a 22 year political track record of elected positions from district judge to U.S. senator prior to being selected by President Franklin Roosevelt as his vice presidential running mate in 1944.

So Palin was truly a fresh face. Fresher even than Senator Obama. She had fought the political establishment in Alaska. This sounded promising. I began to research her political beliefs, and found that the devil was in the details. The following are three of those devilish details that bother me about Palin's policy positions.


#1 - In June 2008, Palin made a speech to ministry students in Alaska. The venue was the Wasilla Assembly of God church. An Australian newspaper, The Herald Sun, amongst many others, printed the story on September 4 from which the following quote by Palin is taken:

"Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending soldiers out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan." click here to read more

That's just what our country does not need - a Vice President, and potential President, who sets public policy based upon what is "God's plan."


#2 - On August 29, 2008, Michael Paulson, who covers religion for The Boston Globe, and shared the 2003 Pulitzer Prize in the 'Meritorious Public Service by a Newspaper' category, wrote:

And in October of 2006, the Anchorage Daily News reported that Palin said the following about creationism at a debate:

"Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information....Healthy debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as the daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged and blessed to be given a lot of information on, on both sides of the subject -- creationism and evolution. It's been a healthy foundation for me. But don't be afraid of information and let kids debate both sides." click here to read more

That's another thing this country does not need - a Vice President, and potential President, who proposes the teaching of creationism in public schools. If creationism is permitted, then why not other non-scientific theories?


#3 - Abortion and a woman's right to choose. Palin opposes all abortions except when the mother's health is endangered. During the 2006 governor's race debate, she opined that even if her own daughter had been raped and became pregnant as a result of that rape, (Palin) would choose life over abortion. click here to hear Palin's comment

The official McCain/Palin web site clearly states the Republican Party's position on abortion:

"John McCain believes Roe v. Wade is a flawed decision that must be overturned, and as president he will nominate judges who understand that courts should not be in the business of legislating from the bench."

That's yet another thing this country does not need - a return to dangerous, illegal, back alley abortions in those states that, absent the Roe v. Wade decision, would again outlaw abortion.

6 comments:

Wayne in Pa said...

Palin also makes a point of promoting "small town values". So what the hell exactly are "small town values"??????? Are they better than "big town values"? I live in what some might consider a "medium sized town", not quite small town, but not big enough to be a city (or a big town). Maybe we have no values yet??

And thank you for bringing out those other points.

Wayne in Pa said...

One thing I can say is that John McCain's quest for the presidency took a turn from the wacky to the bizarre with his surprising VP pick!!! It most definitely gives folks something to talk about, I AM SO SURE, Like TOTALLY! Wayne's World Dream Sequence Time!!!!!!

thinker said...

When I searched the McCain/Palin 2008 official website for 'Palin's small town values,' the entry that came up as the greatest match for my search (83.2%; the second highest match was 57.6%) took me to their page entitled "State Contact Information" with the following text:

"Visit your state page to get more information about the McCain campaign in your state. Please be sure to signup to volunteer on your state's website, so we can contact you with volunteer opportunities and event invitations. If you have any questions about volunteering in your state, please contact us.

The McCain campaign is active in all 50 states, so please continue to check JohnMcCain.com for the latest volunteer opportunities, news and events in your state. Please select your state from the map or menu below to find more information about getting involved!"

I thought that their web site would have proudly listed Palin's small town values.

Maybe when Matthew Scully, the former George W. Bush speechwriter who wrote Palin's acceptance speech for her (another solid indication that McCain/Palin are the true change agents in this election!), has a few spare moments, he can define for her exactly what she means when she extols her 'small town values.'

Ken Kiser said...

I had basically boycotted commenting here based on past strawman treatment. But, there are two things I'd like to say:

1) Regarding Creation being taught in schools: I am COMPLETELY against such a thing. However, I don't really care what someone's personal feelings on the subject are, I care what their voting record is. Some people know how to keep their personal feelings out of their legislation. Where is a record of Palin voting for, signing into law, or otherwise governing on that stance?

2) Huffington Newsletter? You're kidding right. Those clowns can barely be considered journalists. We've talked before about our distaste for lack in journalistic ethics, and then you link to Huffington... shows me how much you value those ethics after all.

You and I have opposing views on a lot of subjects, and that is a wonderful thing. However, as a wrter, I can't allow myself to be associated with unethical, sensationalist and radical organizations such as that.

I respect your views, but you're going to have to respect mine. With a heavy heart, I'm requesting that you remove my links (both of them) from your blog, and unfortunately, I'm having to remove the link to Bitter analysis from mine.

It's nothing personal... keep up with your fight for what you believe in. I'd just rather not be associated with them, since it could have an effect on how I'm viewed as a writer.

Ken Kiser said...

P.S.

Why on Earth would you want to distract your readers from enjoying YOUR articles by broadcasting a radio station OVER their reading experience?

thinker said...

ken,

I have not yet found a record of Palin voting for, or signing into law, actual legislation providing for creationism to be taught in Alaska's public schools. But I do not think it wise to put a person into high office who believes such a thing, and then just hope that she doesn't follow through on that belief.

I included both the Huffington Post Newsletter and The O'Reilly Factor Online links simultaneously, for two reasons. One, to generate additional debate. Two, to provide additional information sources, both left-wing and right-wing, whose reports can then be either confirmed or debunked by researching other, more mainstream sites. I have used the aforementioned sites for that purpose, cross-checking those leads several times, and thought my readers may be interested in doing the same.

The CNN link is history. It was not a good idea, and I had been concerned that it might be, as you pointed out, a distraction. One reader didn't mind it, but the more I thought about whether I would want CNN radio, or any other audio, to suddenly blare from my speakers unannounced, I realized you were right.

On a personal note, I was pleased to see that you had commented this week. I've missed your views here. Of course I respect your wishes, and have, reluctantly, removed your links. It was you who encouraged me to start a blog, assisted me with technical issues, and provided so many thought-provoking comments, so I will always be grateful.